GUIDELINES FOR PASSPORT APPLICATION
Please read carefully the following requirements and guidelines on the application for a Ghana passport.
APPLICANTS, GUARANTORS AND WITNESSES ARE TO NOTE THAT THE MAKING OF A FALSE STATEMENT FOR THE PURPOSE OF PROCURING A PASSPORT IS AN OFFENCE UNDER SECTION 15 OF THE PASSPORT AND TRAVEL CERTIFICATE DECREE (NLCD 155, 1967) OF THE REPUBLIC OF GHANA.
WHERE IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO PROSECUTE SUCH PERSONS IN A CRIMINAL COURT BECAUSE THEY RESIDE OUTSIDE GHANA, SUCH PERSONS SHALL BE DISQUALIFIED FROM HOLDING OR ACQUIRING A GHANAIAN PASSPORT, AND ANY PASSPORT ALREADY ISSUED TO THEM SHALL BE WITHDRAWN, CANCELLED AND CONFISCATED. THEY MAY ALSO BE ARRESTED AND DEALT WITH UNDER GHANA LAW ANYTIME THEY ENTER GHANA.
CONSULAR WORKING HOURS:
Submission of applications:
- MONDAYS, TUESDAYS, THURSDAYS and FRIDAYS – 09:30 – 12.00
Collection of passports:
- TUESDAYS and THURSDAYS – 13:00 – 14.00
Please Note: Applicants who send their passport application(s) by post are advised to attach one of the following for the return of their processed document(s):
- a registered self-addressed envelope with the appropriate stamps (lettre recommendée);
- a pre-paid envelope from any recognised courier service provider.
The Embassy will NEVER send, by post, any document that does not meet the above requirement.
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR PASSPORT APPLICANTS
Applicants for Ghana Passports must be Ghanaian nationals and evidence of Ghanaian citizenship will be required.
NEW PASSPORT (FIRST TIME APPLICANTS)
An applicant must submit:
- a fully and clearly completed Ghana Passport Application Form; Click here to download the Passport Application Form.
- four (4) identical passport-size photographs (full face) taken on a plain background not more than three (3) months from the date of application.
- an original and a photocopy of applicant’s Ghanaian Birth Certificate notarised by a Notary Public in Ghana together with an affidavit from the High Court sworn on his/her behalf in Ghana by a close relative;
- if the applicant has neither a proof of the travel document with which he/she entered France/Portugal nor a proof of legal residence in France/Portugal. The affidavit should indicate whether the applicant has acquired a passport before or not and should be covered by attestations from both the Judicial Service and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ghana.
an original and a photocopy of applicant’s French or Portuguese birth certificate (if the applicant was born in France/Portugal).
- a coloured photocopy of a valid Ghanaian passport of, at least, one of applicant’s parents if the applicant is a minor;
- document(s) (original and photocopy) to support applicant’s profession if applicable.
REPLACEMENT OF MISSING/DAMAGED PASSPORTS
An applicant must submit:
- a fully and clearly completed Ghana Passport Application form; Click here to download the Passport Application Form
- four (4) identical passport-size photographs (full face) taken on a plain background not more than three (3) months from the date of application;
- a police report indicating number and place of issue of missing/damaged passport;
- a declaration of lost/damaged passport made at the Embassy; Click here to download the Declaration form.
- a copy of the missing or damaged passport;
NB: Applicants who do not have a copy of the lost/damaged passport will have to submit the following, in addition to the above;
- an original and a photocopy of applicant’s Ghanaian Birth Certificate notarised by a Notary Public in Ghana together with an affidavit from the High Court sworn by him/her or on his/her behalf in Ghana by a close relative confirming the authenticity of the birth certificate. It should be covered by attestations from both the Judicial Service and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ghana;
- OR an original and a photocopy of applicant’s French or Portuguese Birth Certificate (if the applicant was born in France or Portugal) together with a translated version of the certificate in English;
- a coloured photocopy of the Ghanaian passport of at least one of applicant’s parents if the applicant is a minor;
- Document(s) (original and photocopy) to support applicant’s profession if applicable.
RENEWAL OF EXPIRED PASSPORTS OR PASSPORTS WITH EXHAUSTED PAGES
Applicants must submit:
- a fully and clearly completed Ghana Passport Application Form; Click here to download the Passport Application Form
- four (4) identical passport size photographs (full face) taken on a plain background not more than three (3) months from the date of application;
- original expired passport and photocopy of the biodata page of the expired passport or the passport with exhausted pages.
NB: ANY SUPPORTING DOCUMENT(S) IN ANY OTHER FOREIGN LANGUAGES MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY THEIR ENGLISH TRANSLATIONS.
- Three (3) Months
|New applications (applicants born in Europe)/ Renewal/ exhausted pages||115.00|
|New applications (applicants born outside Europe)/Missing/ Damaged passports||215.00|
MODE OF PAYMENT
Payments for visa applications can be made by either one of the following:
- Bank transfer/Bank deposit :
- All Consular fees (visas, passports, Travel Certificates, attestations etc.) are to be paid into the following account and proof of payment, sent together with the application to the Embassy.
- Click here for the Bank Account details
- All persons (third parties) paying monies on behalf of an applicant should clearly indicate the full name of the applicant on the proof of payment when sending the application to the Embassy.
- Cash payments: – at the Embassy
NB: PASSPORT APPLICATION FEES, ONCE PAID, ARE NOT REFUNDABLE
GUIDELINES FOR FILLING THE PASSPORT APPLICATION FORM
- Please read very carefully all the instructions on the front page of the Passport Application Form before completing it
- Complete all applicable sections fully in capital (Upper case) letters to ensure it can be read easily and correctly.
- Please note that the Passport Application Form was primarily designed for use in Ghana. Some of the sections, therefore, need to be adapted to suit local situations abroad. The following peculiarities on the form must thus be noted:
- Section 7 – Residential Address/Telephone number of applicant in France/Portugal must be provided under this section;
- Section 10 (i) & (ii) – Address (es) of father and mother of applicant must be or include Residential address (es). Information required under this section must be provided even if applicant’s parents are deceased;
- Section 11 (i) & (ii) – Names, contact addresses and telephone numbers of two (2) relatives in Ghana or legally resident in France /Portugal who know the applicant well and agree to act as guarantors for the applicant are to be provided under this section;
- Section 15 – The witness must be a Ghanaian national, who is in good standing (legally resident) and knows the applicant;
- Section 16 – A neat Right Thumb Print of the applicant must be provided in the appropriate box under this section;
- Change of Name/Profession:
- Applicants requesting the above changes to reflect their new status must provide relevant evidence such as: Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Statutory Declarations duly sealed by a competent court, school certificates/Diplomas, Letters from employers etc.